Tuesday, October 7, 2014

0

LGBT MONTH Review of Falling from the Sky by Nikki Godwin

Posted in , , ,
Synopsis:
All stability in sixteen-year-old Ridge McCoy’s life crashed and burned in the plane crash that killed his dad. This summer-long basketball camp is his chance to improve his skills and escape his problems back home. But his summer plans take a turn in an unexpected direction when he meets Micah Youngblood, the guy who runs the carousel at the local mall and has a reputation for devouring straight boys’ heterosexuality for breakfast, alongside his chocolate chip pancakes.

Ridge needs a way to avoid the guys at camp, whose only quest for the summer is to drown in beer and hook up with girls. So when Micah offers to explain how the ten unique horses on the carousel are significant to his tribe, Ridge takes him up on it. Still, Ridge can't decide if this is a bad thing or not. All he knows is that he hasn’t felt this alive since his dad fell from the sky, and as the horse adventures come to an end, Ridge finds himself falling as well – for Micah.
(Taken from Goodreads)


Stars Given:★★★

Overall View:
I honestly found this book to be very sweet and heart warming.  I loved both Micah and Ridge, although there were moments in the story where I really wanted to just slap one of them across the face.  Sort of in a good way though.  I love how this story doesn't only focus on being gay, but it also focuses on a character (Micah) who doesn't love labels.  A world without labels.  That would bring us world peace.  Micah did show a lot of personality, the ups and downs, which made me just love Micah.  He can be fun, and strong, but he also has a weak vulnerable side that allows us to look into Micah's mind and past.  There is no way to really explain how I truly felt about this book.  It is more than just a book to me.  The characters all felt so real, and I really sympathized with both Micah and Ridge.  They were totally perfect for each other and I know this may not be possible, but I really hope to find a sequel to this book in my hands one day.  I want to learn more about Micah and Ridge's relationship when he returns...if possible....I'm begging you Nikki Godwin...I need to see it!  One of the best books I have read in a while.  I really need the sequel, so please make one...I will begin praying for airplanes if there is.

Character:
Ridge -
Description of Character: Ridge's life has fallen apart due to many of the circumstances that has surrounded him.  He still can't believe his father is now gone, and his mother is still mourning, and his brother...well, he's not exactly the best brother. To get away from his problems at home, he decides to go in a basketball camp and expects to improve his skills as a basketball player, but what he doesn't expect is love.


Review of Character: Ridge was a very likable character.  Although I did want to slap him a few times to wake him up from his misery phase, I really liked him, mostly when he was with Micah.  He had a lot of dynamic as a character, showing both sides of him, from praying to airplanes, to playing video games at Micah's, the different emotions he showed lead me to believe that there really is a boy, exactly like Ridge, somewhere out there.  I had not expected this because I usually dislike the main character of books for several reasons, but Ridge really grabbed my attention when I read this book.


*Supporting characters not listed

0 comments: