Wednesday, October 1, 2014

0

EBR Guest Review: Discovering Daniel by Nadine Christian (Emily-Ann Walsh)

Posted in , , ,
EBR Guest Reviewer: Emily-Ann Walsh

Synopsis:
When a shocking memory surfaces that Ava McCoy can't understand, she looks for answers. With her parents and her Uncle Sam trying to convince her that she is only chasing dreams, she is determined to prove that they are wrong, the vision too vivid in her mind to be anything but truth. When her investigation reveals another world so shocking and yet so familiar, it feels as if the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together - with only one question left unanswered. Who is Daniel? The very memory of him draws her to the sea. Then, the ocean brings her the answer she's seeking. Daniel himself. United, Daniel and Ava must find out why everyone wanted to keep them apart - and who is now trying their best to do it again. They must find the answers - before they succeed. Before Ava loses Daniel all over again - this time, forever. (Taken from Goodreads)





Stars Given:★★★★ (4.5 Stars) 

Overall View:

***this book was given to me by the author through Ethereal Book Reviews (Guest Reviewer Program)***

Lets start with a little truth. Me and YA novels don’t seem to be having very good relationship lately. It’s like I’m cursed, and the good finds, that I use to be able to fine, all go into to hiding as soon as I walk into a book store, or Library. 

I found a marvelous one last month, and then nothing. (Demon’s at Deadnight, amazing book, you can see my review on goodreads) That is until Discovering Denial, discovered me… see what I did there.. a haha..ha. 

But in all seriousness, this book took me by surprise, a very pleasant surprise. I wasn’t even going to request it until my best friend, who is also a guess reviewer (Jill), started reading it. She didn’t tell me anything about the book, she’s not into spoilers, it was just the way she reacted to some scenes, (loudly) caught my interest. I had to know what prompted her to react like that. 

The day she finished the book I request it, and fell into some pretty good feels for it. The writing tone is calming, and moving. Even when there was,danger, it felt more like urgency then OMG! Which isn’t a bad thing. 

I like how Ava and Daniel took the time to get to know one another. Yes the feelings where there form the start but they didn’t jump in, so much as theylearned to understand what it was they where actually feeling. I hate how some YA have this instance love thing going. I ranted about this before, I ranted about this before in a different review (on goodreads) and as someone who has loved and lost knows, most times your first love will always be lost. For those of you that are still with that first love, I bow to you. XD
This book is heavy on family and connections. I’m close with my family, in a weird way, in the short run we’re nuts and it works. Ava and her family are super close, and she’s a daddy’s girl. This doesn’t change as she grows up, which is nice. I also really like how she still has both parents, and that there wasn’t what you would call a sob story; very refreshing. (YA novels tend to have a broken protagonist half the time, its annoying) Ava is happy, strong, heard headed, and she doesn't let her growing feelings for Daniel change that. [(I was going say, cloud her better judgement, but, that didn’t happen

The ending did throw me for a WFT loop. Not in a bad way, but in a, I wanted there to be more. If this novel is going to be a stand alone, then there should have been a epilogue or just something after the fact. The ending was left too open and very unfulfilling in the feels department. (In truth it felt rushed.) I wanted that extra scene, that for-sure closure. 

To conclude, this book is a hidden gem 
, it will pull you in, and make you believe in the world that is Ava and Denial.

0 comments: