Saturday, August 30, 2014

0

EBR Guest Review: Discovering Daniel by Nadine Christian (Julia Goudreau)

Posted in , , ,
EBR Guest Reviewer: Julia Goudreau


Synopsis:
When a shocking memory surfaces that Ava McCoy can’t understand, she looks for answers. With her parents and her Uncle Sam trying to convince her that she is only chasing dreams, she is determined to prove that they are wrong, the vision too vivid in her mind to be anything but truth.

When her investigation reveals another world so shocking and yet so familiar, it feels as if the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together – with only one question left unanswered. Who is Daniel? The very memory of him draws her to the sea. Then, the ocean brings her the answer she’s seeking. Daniel himself.


United, Daniel and Ava must find out why everyone wanted to keep them apart – and who is now trying their best to do it again. They must find the answers – before they succeed in separating them. Before Ava loses Daniel all over again – this time, forever. 
(Taken from Goodreads)




Stars Given: ☆ (4 Stars)

Overall View:

***this book was given to me by the author through Ethereal Book Reviews (Guest Reviewer Program)***

You know what? If I could be any supernatural being, I would totally be a mermaid (but not the killer kind; just the Disney Ariel kind).

Ava just remembered something huge that happened when she was 9. This memory leads to a discovery. This discovery then leads to a whole world of lies that get blown up in said liars faces. Basically, the little lie turns Ava’s world upside down.

I found the beginning to be a little slow. I understand that it is important to set up the novel, I do. But in “Discovering Daniel”, a lot of that set up is Ava sitting down and talking about it with her Uncle. Even though it was really interesting to hear the stories about the merfolk, I would have liked to see Ava doing something (like looking for Daniel) in the beginning. However, the book picked up the pace after a while and the last 50-75 pages went by super quick! 


Yes. Ok. Some of this book was predictable. But it was a good predictable because when I found out that I was right, I was yelling “I KNEW IT! I WAS RIGHT!” (as you can see, I got really into the book). But the ending solution (I really don’t know what else to call it), I didn’t see coming. I enjoyed the fact that I could predict some parts, but I need Christian to tie it all together for me.

This is the kind of book that I will read over and over again. It is perfect for when you have just read a book like “The Fault in Our Stars” and have completed sobbed your brains out. You need a book where everything goes right in the world. So I thank Nadine Christian for writing the book that is like ice cream after a break up. It makes everything better (or sort of).

 Maybe you really like mermaids or you are really sad. Either way, they both are reasons on why you should pick up “Discovering Daniel” by Nadine Christian.

0 comments: