Wednesday, October 1, 2014

2

EBR Guest Review: My Soul Immortal by Jen Printy (Yvonne)

Posted in , ,
EBR Guest Reviewer: Yvonne

Synopsis:
Jack’s immortality is exposed when he prevents a liquor store heist, forcing him to flee to protect his secret—a secret not even he understands. But when he meets Leah Winters—a mirror image of his decades-lost love, Lydia—his very soul is laid bare. He begins to question his sanity. Is she real, and if so, what does that mean for Jack and his secret?

Jack’s not the only mystery man in town. A stranger named Artagan hints at knowledge Jack is desperate to possess. But can he trust Artagan, or does the dark newcomer harbor deadly secrets of his own?

As Jack’s bond with Leah grows, so does the danger to her life. Jack must discover just how much he is willing to risk in order to save the woman he already lost once.
 
(Taken from Goodreads)






Stars Given: (4 Stars)

Overall View:

***this book was given to me by the author through Ethereal Book Reviews (Guest Reviewer Program)***

When I was first contacted about My Soul Immortal, I was immediately intrigued by the cover and excerpt provided. Crossing my fingers that the story wouldn't turn out to be a full-blown romance story with a just a hint of the fantasy/paranormal genre sprinkled on top (which, in my case, is a bad thing), I immediately decided to accept and read this ARC. I will start with saying I had some problems with certain parts of the book. If you would have asked me about my opinion halfway down the book, I wouldn't have been as positive as I am now that I've finished My Soul Immortal. I know romance is not my favorite genre and this could have influenced my opinion in a bad way, but I found the relationship of the main immortal! character Jack and his 'soulmate' Leah is on the verge of tacky at some points in the story. Sure, Leah's soul remembers Jack after all those years and even though Leah hasn't actually met Jack in person before, they fall hopelessly in love. Jack doesn't hesitate saving her life by trying to sacrifice himself for his true love... And having a daughter of Death named Vita (life in Latin) chasing them made my eyebrows raise real high as well. But I have to admit I didn't see the end coming and it definitely made up for all the little annoyances I've encountered in My Soul Immortal. The story ended with a cliffhanger and surely left me wanting for more! I hope Jen Printy will be able to finish the second book of the Fated Eternals series soon, as I would love to find out how the story continues.

Short Summary
Jack has two problems in his life. He is still hopelessly in love with the long deceased Lydia AND he turns out to be immortal. Already a hundred and seventy years old and counting, he has tried to die numerous times before in attempt to join his Lydia in the afterlife. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for him, he has never succeeded and even lethal wounds conflicted always heal within a couple of minutes. He is forced to live on the border of society, hiding his 'gift' from others and moving around a lot so nobody will realize he never ages. When faith brings him to his next destination, he would never have guessed his life would change forever. He bumps into a girl on the street and when he sees her face, he thinks he is seeing ghosts. She looks exactly like Lydia!

The girl is not a ghost, but nothing other than a soul immortal. Leah Winters has the soul of the late Lydia, and they both soon realize the mutual attraction between the two of them. But the appearance of Jack doesn't seem as unfamiliar to Leah as he originally thinks... And when a mysterious man called Artagan shows interest in them, things get complicated. Leah and Jack are forced to leave the town where they met, and flee to York where her brother is studying. But one of the daughters of Death and another immortal called Vita is now after them, and they never seem safe... 


And Death may be waiting for Leah around every corner. Can Jack save her on time?

2 comments: