Thursday, October 16, 2014

0

Review of Pretty Girl by Amy Heugh

Posted in ,
Synopsis:
If there were one day that she could change it would be the day she was taken.

After her parents’ divorce, seventeen-year-old Izzy Scott and her mother move to the old town of St. Augustine to begin a new life, a life beyond the media attention and the memories of the traumatic experiences that left an everlasting affect on their family.

The former ballerina is trying to adjust to the outside world without suffering a panic attack and exposing who she is - all while getting through her senior year at a new school. That’s easy to say until she meets local boy Mason Winchester, a boy with a tragic past.

Mason has a reputation for violence, but a love for motorcycles. At the age of eleven he lost his mother to cancer and from then he has been running from something, but could never really get away.

Like any other angry teenager, he just wants to be left alone and to have nothing to do with anyone else because he believed that he had nothing to offer. That changes the moment he saw what was in the new girl eyes.

Tragedy wasn't new to either of their lives but among the secrets and the memories the one thing they both never excepted was to find hope.

*This book is recommended for readers 18+ for violence, language, and some adult situations.*
(Taken from Goodreads)


Stars Given:★★★★☆

Overall View:
I loved this book.  Although there were quite a few spelling/grammar mistakes, this book was placed together with care, and the product?  Perfect.  Magnificent.  Although Izzy, at times, had a few disliking qualities, both Izzy and Mason were just lovable.  The pity I felt for both made my heart ache as their individual stories began to unfold.  This book isn't all about love.  It is about getting over the past, and starting new again.  The title is just perfect.  Although it was deceiving at first, I had become quite fond of the title and the cover of the book.  It connected well with the story, and the theme was pulled throughout the story.  Laughter and tears were shed throughout the story, which had made the characters really come to life.  I admit, I did cry near the ending, but that is all I can say without spoiling the book.

Although the plot was shown a little later in the book, I had really enjoyed Izzy and Mason's story (I was hoping for an epilogue, but was later disappointed...).  Not only did I find their story heart wrenching, but these two characters have taught me something to keep in mind.  No matter what happens, move on.   This book is full of emotions and is highly recommended to sophisticated readers.  Like the warning of the book in the synopsis, this book is highly recommended for someone who is able to read through some (or a lot) violence, foul language, and adult situations.  My only criticism for this book would be getting an editor for it.  Maybe I got the wrong or unedited version, but there were noticeable spelling and grammar errors.  For someone like me, a mistake would kidnap my attention from the story.  Other than that, I am more than happy to reread this book a hundred times, maybe even a thousand if I can.  Perfect book, with "perfect" characters.

*Supporting characters not listed

0 comments: