Friday, October 24, 2014

0

LGBT MONTH Author Interview: Perie Wolford

Posted in , ,


ADD AUTHOR'S PICTURE ABOVE

About the Author:

Perie Wolford is an optioned and produced screenwriter but he enjoys writing an occasional science fiction novel too. His latest sci-fi book PRESENCE is Available right now in Paperback and Kindle formats. As of 2014 Perie started new Gay/YA series titled Turning 16 (available right now Kindle, Smashwords, Paperback)

Interview:

What made you want to become a writer?
I never really wanted to be a writer actually. I dreamt of cinematography. But movie business is a very tough business to break into. So I thought that maybe screenwriting would be an easier start. So I started writing screenplays and this year is a 10th anniversary of that decision.

As I was writing screenplays, I also became curious about authoring books. And I thought why not? And I have discovered that I really enjoy writing books as well. It’s a different process but it’s really fascinating. And unlike screenwriting, with books you get to have control over what the final product would be like. And being a control-freak I really like that :)
 

Where do you get your inspirations from?
Well, a lot of things can spark inspiration, actually. Sometimes it’s other author’s works, or other movies. Sometimes it can be a colorful dream. Or it can just come from nowhere :)

For instance, with Turning 16 my inspiration was obviously Sixteen Candles movie, and works of John Hughes in general. With Presence, my sci-fi novel, the inspiration was me waking up in the middle of the night and going to get a glass of water and looking out the window on my way... The streets outside were all empty and it was so different from a day time, almost like another world.
 

Other than writing books, what else do you do in your free time?
I’m what you call multi-talented, if I dare to say so myself :) I write screenplays, as I mentioned; I draw covers for my books; I write music to accompany my book trailers, and compose those trailers too; I like to work with visuals and computer graphics; I like photography; I also like to sing and dream of recording an album (but that’s a whole different story); I also programmed my own website periewolford.com (well I majored in computer science so it’s kinda my thing). To summarize, I think I’m fascinated about everything that entertainment industry has to offer and I tried myself in practically all the areas. 

If you could work with another author, who would it be?
Well, Turning 16 was co-written with another author, for starters :) But I guess you mean somebody famous... In MM genre I love Brent Hartinger, the author of Geography Club series, speaking of inspiration. In sci-fi genre, well ultimately Suzanne Collins :) Not only did she manage to write such a phenomenally interesting book as Hunger Games, but she also has a brilliant writing style. I’m so looking forward to whatever YA book she’s working on right now. I wish though that she had written more than 3 books in HG series... I think it was a little selfish of her to stop at three books, why not five or seven :) 

What are major themes of your work?
Major themes... Well, I like happy endings, I like the idea of hope, that everything can work out in the end no matter the hardships... I like to entertain people and give them a distraction from everyday life/problems. More specifically, I’m a big sci-fi nut :) Turning 16 series is like one of the few projects of mine that are not sci-fi. The majority of my projects are connected to aliens in one way or another, because I find the idea of alien life fascinating. Other than that I’m a romantic, so that’s a major element in all my works. 

What do you think people look for in a book?
I know what I’m looking for in a book. I like to be entertained and I like my attention to be grabbed to the point that you can’t put the book down and spend an entire day reading it. Another major thing about books and screenplays alike is uniqueness... The world that you’re building is fictional, but the reader has to be so fascinated (dang, I’m using that word a lot in this interview :) with it that it almost becomes real... The reader shouldn’t feel like what he’s reading was manufactured... The reader has to believe it happened, for real. Like with Hunger Games, again... When you’re reading it, you feel like it’s almost a real chronicle from some real place beyond our reach, it feels real. That’s important for me as a reader and author alike. 

Are there any recent works you admire?
I can’t say that I read a lot of new stuff, unfortunately. I rarely have time and I usually prefer to stick to works that I have already idolized. For instance, The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough, Gone with the Wind, The Ninth Gate and the book it’s been based on, Hunger Games, Divergent, Geography Club, etc.

Questions About the Book (Turning 16):

Which character in the book do you think you can relate to the most?
100% Sam... Because I based this character a little bit on myself. A lot of his experience is my experience and a lot of his thoughts are my thoughts. Although, of course, I’m not 16 anymore... I’m nearly 30. 

How did you come up with the character's names?
Simple... Sam is Samantha Baker, Jake is obviously Jake Ryan from 16 Candles... With other names, well I don’t know... you have to feel the name in a way... like Mitch... when you say it, it rings certain emotions... it almost describes what kind of person you are dealing with. I try to find a name that would be the most appropriate. 

What gave you the inspiration to write this book?
Well, it’s a big story and I have actually written a small article about it. You can check it out here http://periewolford.com/index.php/mm-books/turning-16-series/book-1-turning-16/inspiration-behind-t16
*The questions and answers of this author interview are only for Ethereal Book Reviews to use.  If you would like to get interviewed, please visit our "Contact Us" page and send us an e-mail.

0 comments: