Wednesday, September 3, 2014

0

Review of The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks

Posted in ,
Synopsis:
I can't believe I feel for it.

It was still dark when I woke up this morning. As soon as my eyes opened I knew where I was.

A low-ceilinged rectangular building made entirely of whitewashed concrete. There are six little rooms along the main corridor.

There are no windows. No doors. The lift is the only way in or out. What's he going to do to me? What am I going to do?

If I am right the lift will come down in five minutes.

It did.

Only this time it wasn't empty. (Taken from the blurb)

Stars Given: ★★★★☆

Overall Review:
This book is defiantly not for the faint hearted. It is very catchy at the beginning and had me captivated for ages. Primarily it is about six people who get kidnapped and put into a bunker with no way of getting out, they suspect that the kidnapper is watching them through cameras in the ceiling which allows him to punish them if they try to escape. This is the first book that I have read which doesn't have a 'happy ending', which was a bit of a shock as I thought they were going to have some heroic escape planned. Do not read this book if you are squeamish, the author does not leave out any details. It is very disturbing. 

There has been a lot of controversy about this book despite it's many awards due to the gory details and unhappy ending, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under sixteen.

Character:
Linus-
Description of Character:  Linus run away from home due to his drugged addicted father and the dislike of boarding school, and was captured by the illusive kidnapper when he was living on the streets of London. Being very mature, Linus takes to living in a bunker quite easily and helps to ration the food and keeps everyone in order when the other six prisoners arrive.

Review of Character: I think the way Linus took to being kidnapped was a little to calmly as I imagine many of us would be frantic and panicky, although it probably could just be how his character is as he acts unnaturally calm in other situations. But I like the way the author portrays him as it is in first person so Linus actually writes the diary and it is very funny in places.

0 comments: