Saturday, August 30, 2014

0

Review of Street Food and Love by H.A. Enri

Posted in , , , , ,
Synopsis:
Sole Eaby, seventeen, has a few complaints he’d like to lodge against life, the main one being that his dad, Cedro, has recently quit his job and withdrawn his entire life savings, which included Sole’s college fund. Why? To launch a food truck business he knows nothing about.

To cope, Sole uses his knifelike wit to moonlight as a stand-up comedian, and so far, it’s paying off. He’s not only replenishing his college treasury, he’s making people laugh; but it’s one person in particular he performs for. Her name is Ava. When the fated bond of humor joins the two, and they begin a sort of quasi-romance, things begin to seem somewhat bearable. Of course, that’s when an ill-timed event decides to put another spin on things. Just when Sole is ready to move on with his own life and disconnect himself from his father and the family business, he suddenly finds himself in charge of the food truck he desperately loathes. Here is where Sole must realize that the answers to love and life are not to be found apart but, rather, are more like a savory recipe: only by combining the ingredients will the wonderful flavors reveal themselves. When comedy isn’t enough, the future seems ever bleak, and a fledgling love has barely had a chance to bloom, where will Sole turn?
(Taken from Goodreads)


Stars Given:
★★★★☆

Overall View:
This book focused less on the actual title (street food, and love), and focused more on the importance of relationships, either father to son, or girlfriend to boyfriend.  I found this book quite interesting and couldn't put it down.  Although I didn't learn too much about the characters, I enjoyed Sole's story and adventure through his life changing events.  The ending was definitely something I had not expected, and although there were a few grammar mistakes in the book (which I desperately wanted to fix), it did not take away the meaning of the sentences.  If this book had gotten more editors to find the mistakes, and had given the characters more time to allow readers to learn who they really are, I would give this book five stars.  For now, it will sit at four (probably 4.4 at the moment), and may be upgraded when I do have time to read it all over again.  Although I didn't get a chance to read it all in one sitting, the next time I do find time to read it, I believe that I will be able to read it all within a day.  This book is quirky, fun, and sweet when it needs to be.

This book has the type of plot that would draw me back in and make me want to reread it a few times.  I don't think I will ever get tired of the plot, and neither will other readers.

Character:
Sole Eaby -
Description of Character: Sole Eaby is the type of boy who could make anyone laugh.  Whether it is someone who despises him or craves him, he always finds a way to make other laugh.  Because his father suddenly used his college funds in order to pay for his "mid-life crisis", he became a stand up comedian.  His stubbornness has caused problems to grow between him and his own father, Cedro Eaby.  Although many, such as Lana and Ava, try to help them reconnect and end their grudges with each other, his strong personality prevents anyone from coming between him and his grudges against his father.

Review of Character: I did like his character at first, but as the story continued to move on, I found it a little difficult to "like" Sole's character and his personality.  Although I liked how strong headed he was, it bothered me that he could not see from other people's point of views.  Sure, his father may have been selfish, but Sole, himself, was quite selfish so I found him a bit hypocritical when he started to complain about Cedro. As the story started to reach the end, I did find that he had changed his ways (a little too late though...), his redeeming qualities did begin to show.  I began to like him more after that, although, like I said, it was a bit too late because he had only started to realize that Ava was right near the end.

 *Supporting characters not listed

0 comments: