Friday, March 15, 2013

0

Author Interview: Shel Delisle

Posted in ,

About the Author:
Shel Delisle is the author of the popular teen novels Dolphin Girl, Winging It! and My Wishful Thinking. Most days she wishes she had angel super powers or a genie to help with the housework. She enjoys living in Florida with her hubby, three boys, and a very sweet dog and loves to hear from her readers. 

Interview:


What made you want to become a writer?

For as long as I can remember I've told stories.  I used to make construction paper books in elementary school for my classmates. Or at slumber parties, I'd tell made-up scary stories. I don't know where that desire came from, but it's something that I love doing. 
 
Where do your inspirations come from?
Oh,  I get inspiration from practically everywhere. For my first book Dolphin Girl, I took a dolphin swim. Recently, I've been working on the follow up to Winging It! as part of the Angel in Training series and I used a video from YouTube of Grand Central Station. Music also plays a big part in inspiration. On my blog, I feature songs in Music Monday posts to tell how they inspired me. But there's also other books and movies and life. 

Other than writing books, what else do you do in your free time?

I don't really think of writing as free time. It's more like my job that I go to everyday!  But when I'm not working...I have three sons and they all play sports, so I attend a lot of games and try not to embarrass them by cheering too much. :D  I also love reading, baking, and exploring new places and things.   


If you could work with another author, who would it be?
I'd love to collaborate with one of my critique partners, because we've been friends for a long time and can complement each others strengths and weaknesses. I don't know if that will ever happen. but it's a dream of mine. 
 
What are major themes of your work?
Staying true to yourself and forgiveness.   

What do you think people look for in a book?
Oh, that's a tough question!  Isn't it a little different for everyone?  But, my books definitely appeal to readers who like characters that feel "real" to them, light-hearted entertainment, a little romance, and some pure escapism. They're a little goofy, too. My books, that is, not the readers. :D 

Are there any recent works that you admire?
I just finished The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith and have been recommending it to everyone. I also loved Tammara Webber's Easy.  I seem to go through phases, dystopian/sci fi, adventure, romance.  Seems like I'm in a romance phase. 
*The questions and answers of this author interview are only for Ethereal Book Reviews to use.  If you would like to get interviewed, please visit our "Contact Us" page and send us an e-mail.

0 comments: