Friday, January 18, 2013

2

Review of The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Posted in , , ,
Synopsis:

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along. (Taken from Goodreads)

Stars Given: 

Overall View:
I am actually very impressed with this book.  I had found it in my school library after waiting for my friend.  Since it was one of those magic-free books, I decided to borrow all three since I was tired of the old cliched stuff.  I looked on goodreads to find that not many people were fond of that book.  Anyways, I finished it all in one day.  Yes, that was how good it was.  I had to sneak it into class, squeeze it in when I had free time and I managed to finish it.  I just couldn't put the book down.  The characters had left a huge impression on me.  Why did I give it five stars?  Well first of all, although many people might hate me after writing this part, I LOVED how this had absolutely NOTHING to do with magic.  I am just tired of the same old thing.  The characters were beautifully described, leaving an image in my head that was easy to picture.  The secrets had just made this book even better.  What could be better than a story that has a hundred hushed secrets and a big love story?  Well, maybe free Starbucks, but other than that, this book was amazing.  This book was amazing and to make things better, I was listening to the song "Summer Paradise" by Simple Plan!  So if you ever read this book, listen to that song.  It just sets the mood for you.  Although it's kind of ironic that I'm reading it when it's winter here....(well the ending makes sense).  I am geared and ready with the second and third book.  Maybe Saturday won't be so bad after all!

Characters:

Isabel "Belly" - 
Description of Character: Isabel "Belly" goes to Cousins beach for the summer, like always.  This time, her visit is different.  Different than any other visits that she had made in the past few years.  She finally sees that Not everything can stay the same or perfect.  The changes that she goes through not only overwhelms her, but the others around her.  As she stays in Cousins beach, she finds herself uncovering new secrets and wrapped around a love spell.


Review of Character: Did I like Belly? Yes.  Well, that just makes the book good already.  It's great to like the main character.  I would've already put the book down if I didn't like her.  Although she was a bit whiny, she knew what she wanted and she headed straight for her goals.  If it were some weak little girl in her place, I would have already returned this book to my school library.  Belly is a confident independent girl.  At the beginning of the book, I already got a feel of her...independency? Not a word.  Anyways, she seemed to be the type of girl who sits in the back and just listens.  Yes, she listens.  Although she was assertive and reckless  which is what I HATE in main characters, this just made me love her even more.  

Conrad/Jeremiah -

Description of Character: Conrad and Jeremiah are brothers that go to Cousins beach every summer.  But it's not just them.  Their mother's best friend and daughter and son join them on a memorable summer every year.  But things start to change thins summer.  Drama begins to well up in the house and it may bring the two brothers closer.  Or farther. 

Review of Character: No, they are not two people.  I just happened to be too lazy to type a whole lot.  Yes, I know, that's what blogs are for!  Anyways, lets start with Conrad.  Did I hate him? No.  Did I like? Kinda...maybe not as much as his younger brother though.  He was, like Belly, aggressive but a total loner in the story.  The way he acted towards Belly, Jeremiah and Cam just made me want to slap him across the face.  But as Belly spoke of the past, it was obvious that a huge secret made him change so much.  I still liked him, but I would choose Jeremiah over him.  No offense.  Now them, for the younger brother.  Man I feel completely sorry for him.  Nobody loves him.  And you know what that deserves?  I sad face :( Everyone is completely obsessed with Conrad, like he is god or something.  And then there's poor poor Jeremiah.  Just sitting on the side, smiling and nodding when he needs to.  To me, it felt like he was the most realistic character in the story.  Although things turned bad, okay horrible, near the end, he still held up his face nice and high.  And for that, I applaud him.  He seems like the perfect guy that everyone loves.  Or should love in this case.  Maybe if I wasn't so biased, I would love both characters equally but I just feel so sympathetic for Jeremiah.


*Supporting characters not listed

2 comments: